I’d like to give a little insight to those who are researching the breed. While your research may lead you to believe that the Cane Corso is #1 family dog right now, that couldn’t be further from the truth. They are a working breed. Do not choose this breed simply for their appearance, newly gained popularity and loyalty alone.
This breed is wilful, powerful, head strong, active, athletic, rude, same sex aggressive, reserved, confident, bossy, dominant, prey driven, territorial, messy, hairy, rammy, smarter than you, challenging, witty, intimidating, needy, independent and assume they are head of the household. They need an assertive handler, someone who is willing to train, train and train some more. A family or handler who will fill their emotional cup by giving them a purpose, daily tasks or a job such as obedience, agility, tracking, scent detection, barn hunt, dock diving, protection, therapy, herding etc,. The list is endless and their versatility is outstanding, therefore it’s not hard to find something both handler and dog enjoy.
STOP 🛑 Looking for an easy going, laid back, calm, low energy, chill, docile, dog friendly dog in a Cane Corso. Please consider a breed who fits this description.
TIRED 😴 Of listening to complaints such as, my puppy broke out of its crate while I went to work for 10 hours, because they don’t have time to train or exercise it. My puppy has high energy and wants to bite everything including flesh. My 5 month old puppy is aggressive. My dog ate my couch. People cross the street when my dog and I walk by and this hurts my feelings. My dog is a friendly giant. My family is scared of my dog because it looks mean. My kids can’t walk the dog or my favorite one... my dog weighs more than me so I can’t walk it. My dog loved dog parks until it turned 15 months and now it’s dog aggressive. My dog needs a friend.
These are animals and you are not fur parents. We hold you to the expectation that you will train and contribute to raising a dog that respectfully represents the breed in the most positive way posible.
You aren’t doing the breed or your future pup any favors by denying the fact that genes run deeper than vanity.
This article is a mandatory read for any prospective Prairie Creek Cane Corso owner. The purchasing contract will reference this article, as you may have already heard a Cane Corso is not for everybody. This breed is best suited for a confident, dedicated, experienced and consistent owner. As a breed they have a few features that some people find lovable, that some people find mildly nasty and some people find down right intolerable. So it is very important that you do your research and self-reflection before deciding on a breed that suits you and your family. This article is not to deter you but to help you figure out if a Cane Corso is right for you and your situation.
This article, written many years ago by Pam Green it’s a classic in the Bouvier Circles, titled “Don’t Buy a Bouvier”. She has given permission to reprint and distribute it in hopes of saving innocent Bouviers from neglect and abandonment by those who should never have acquired them in the first place. This article was so closely related to the Cane Corso that Prairie Creek reprinted it making it breed specific with the same hopes as Pam Green.
DON'T BUY A CANE CORSO!
Interested in buying a Cane Coso? Well, I think you should also hear, before it's too late, that the Corso is not the perfect breed for everyone. Think long and hard before buying or adopting one. You will be committing yourself for up to 15 years.
DON'T buy a Corso if you are attracted to the breed chiefly by its appearance. Behavior, temperament, and trainability are what you actually live with. Be sure that the Cane Corso personality truly suits your own personality and lifestyle.
DON'T buy a Corso if you are unwilling to share your house and your life with your dog. Corsi are family-oriented house-dogs; they do not make good “outdoor” dogs. (Actually few dogs are happy if "exiled” from house and family.)
DON'T buy a Corso if you don't intend to educate (train) your dog. Basic obedience training is a MUST if your Corso is to be a pleasant and well-mannered housemate and you yourself must do it (with help in class) ; no one can do it for you.
DON'T buy a Corso if you lack leadership (self-assertive) personality. Corsi are NOT submissive natured ; they tend to take advantage of wishy-washy non-alpha owners. You must be self-assured, consistent, and calmly firm.
DON'T buy a Corso if you don't value laid-back companionship and calm affection. Corsi are loving , but not highly demonstrative of their affections.
DON'T buy a Corso if you are fastidious about the neatness of your home. Corsi tend to track a lot of dirt into the house, more than almost any other breed.
DON'T buy a Corso if you are fastidious about unpleasant odors. Corsi have a fair amount of “doggy” body odor and they fart more than most breeds.
DON'T buy a Corso if you dislike daily physical exercise. Corsi need exercise.
DON'T buy a Corso if you believe that dogs should run "free". No dog can run free and unsupervised, neither in urban nor rural setting. Corso being herding dogs, will chase livestock, for which crime the stock’s owner will kill the dog.
DON'T buy a Corso if you can't afford to buy, feed, and provide health care for one. Corsi are one of the more expensive breeds in all these respects. (Actually, no dog is cheap to keep; all can run up horrendous vet bills.)
DON’T buy a Corso if you want the “Latest Greatest Ferocious Killer Attack Dog.”; but also DON’T buy a Corso if you want a totally unaggressive and unprotective dog. The mere presence and formidable aura of a Corso will intimidate and deter 95% of burglars, muggers, and rapists. Attack training may improve your chances against some of the remaining 5%, but it exposes you to tremendous potential liability and it demands many hundreds of hours of highly skilled training. If poorly done, it can create a dangerous dog.
DON’T buy a Corso if you are not willing to commit yourself for the dog’s entire lifetime. Every dog deserves lifetime loyalty from his owners. A Corso dumped into a Pound or Shelter has almost no chance of escaping death. Almost all disagreements and problems can be solved through counseling and training of owner and dog. If you must place your Corso, do so only through your breeder. In Conclusion if all the preceding “bad news” about Corsi hasn’t turned you away from the breed, then by all means
DO GET A CORSO ! They are every bit as wonderful as you have heard!
by Pam Green, copyright 1992, 2007